I’m pretty sure we own at least 8 to 10 camp stoves—all of which are different styles and of varying quality.
When it comes to winter camping, a stove is a must not only for cooking your food, but also potentially for keeping you warm.
If you’re backpacking, you’re probably going to want something lightweight and portable.
You’re also going to want to select fuel canisters with isobutane or a propane/isobutane mix, which perform better in cold weather compared to butane.
Your other option is to bring a wood burning stove to use in a hot tent.
These stoves are much bigger and bulkier, but a small stove can’t match their heating capabilities.
Small and portable camp stoves (for backpacking)
Let’s start with camp stoves that are best suited for backpacking.
When you’re winter camping, you need a stove that can withstand the freezing temperatures and provide the necessary warmth for cooking and heating.
The Bushbox XL Titanium excels in this department, thanks to its incredibly efficient portable multi-fuel design and robust titanium construction.
You can read our full review of the Bushbox, which is probably our favourite stove.
- Extremely lightweight at only 490g (17.28 oz) and packs down to just 1cm thick in the included heavy-duty outdoor bag
- Highly versatile with a multi-fuel design, capable of using twigs, branches, leaves, wood pellets, charcoal, and even compatible with Trangia spirit burners
- Made in Germany from pure titanium for superior strength and durability
For reliable warmth and cooking during winter camping, the Trangia Spirit Burner is your top choice.
The Trangia Spirit Burner is a fantastic stove for winter camping because it thrives in cold weather conditions and provides consistent heat output.
Its alcohol fuel type performs well in the freezing temperatures, which is essential when you need a warm meal in harsh conditions.
- Weighs only 0.24 lbs, making it highly portable
- Packed dimensions of 2.85 x 1.75 inches save space in your backpack
- Has an output of 1000 W, ensuring quick boiling times for your meals
The MSR WindBurner is designed to provide a reliable and efficient cooking experience during winter camping.
Its radiant burner technology and windproof design allow it to perform at its best even in harsh cold weather.
The all-in-one system also makes packing and assembly quick and straightforward, giving you more time to focus on your adventure.
- Ultra-efficient windproof radiant burner for quick boiling and fuel efficiency
- Built-in heat exchanger transfers heat efficiently to the 1.0 litre pot
- All-in-one system nests components inside the pot for easy packing
If you’re seeking a trustworthy stove for your winter camping trips, MSR WindBurner is worth your consideration.
This GasOne stove is ideal for winter camping due to its insulated design and high heat output, perfect for cooking meals in cold weather.
The GasOne Premium Wood Burning Rocket Stove is an excellent choice for winter camping, especially because of its insulated design that maximizes efficiency and high output.
This ensures that you can get a hot and steady stove plate to cook up delicious meals in the harshest winter conditions.
- Can be used with multiple fuel sources, such as wood, charcoal, and solid fuels
- Insulated design ensures maximum efficiency and high heat output
- Silicone handles for easy and safe handling even when hot
This stove is perfect for winter camping, providing consistent, powerful heating even in cold and harsh conditions.
Its inverted fuel canister feature ensures a consistent, powerful flame, making it an ideal choice for winter camping trips.
The large pot support also allows you to use a cooker or frying pan, ensuring your meals stay hot in cold surroundings.
- Foldable and compact with a convenient storage case
- Inverted fuel canister and attached circle holder for consistent output
- Large pot support (Φ6.61’’/16.8cm) and wind-resistant plate legs for stability
Here’s an ideal stove for winter camping that ensures quick heating and has exceptional wind resistance.
In cold weather and harsh winter conditions, the AOTU Portable Camping Stove truly stands out with its integrated high-bright aluminum alloy burner base, providing lightweight stability and strength.
Its honeycomb high-temperature aluminum alloy windproof net increases oxygen circulation, leading to better combustion and making it suitable for winter camping.
- High-strength, lightweight aluminum alloy construction for durability
- Adjustable control valve for fast heating and efficient simmering
- Compatible with 7/16 thread single butane/butane-propane mixed fuel canisters
This stove is perfect for winter camping, offering you powerful and consistent heat in harsh conditions.
Designed for cold weather and harsh winter conditions, the Coleman Fold N Go 2-burner propane camping stove provides reliable performance to keep you warm and cook your meals in the great outdoors.
With 20,000 BTUs of cooking power and pressure-control technology, you can expect consistent heat even in extreme conditions.
- Portable and foldable design for easy transport
- Pressure-control technology ensures consistent heat
- Matchless InstaStart ignition for easy use
This stove’s unique lotus shape design and 360° windproof windshield ensures that your stove maintains its performance in harsh winter conditions.
The all-round firepower surround and adjustable flame provide efficient heating, allowing you to cook your food and boil water quickly.
- 360° windproof lotus shape design
- Adjustable flame and all-round firepower surround
- High-quality aluminum alloy and stainless steel construction
Wood burning camp stoves (for hot tenting)
Now let’s take a look at some of the heavy duty stove options, which are specifically to be used with a hot tent.
The FIREHIKING titanium stove offers the durability and performance you require in harsh, snowy conditions—and weighs only 3.4 pounds!
Its compact, foldable design makes it easy to transport, and the sturdy titanium construction ensures it can withstand the cold temperatures.
- Ultralight and strong titanium construction
- Portable and foldable design for easy transport
- Glass window for fuel combustion observation
The KingCamp hot tent stove is well-sealed stainless steel frame ensures no smoke leakage, and its adjustable flame design ensures greater efficiency and reduced deformation.
Additionally, this stove features insulated side windows that allow for more effective observation of the fire, making it perfect for keeping you warm during those chilly winter camping trips.
- Strong, durable, and rust-free stainless steel frame
- Adjustable flame design with insulated handle rotary damper
- Portable and easy to move around with a nesting 4-leg design
The Preself hot tent stove is a great option, designed specifically for heating and cooking in cold weather.
The large side window on this stove is not only visually pleasing but also extremely practical.
It allows you to monitor the flame and easily add wood when needed, as well as creating a cozy campfire ambiance.
The large firebox ensures a long burn time of up to two hours, meaning you can stay warm and cook your meals without constant refueling.
- Large side window for monitoring flames and adding wood
- Durable heavy-duty steel construction
- 7-feet long chimney with spark arrestor for added safety
The AVOFOREST Wood Burning Stove is designed for outdoor usage, providing warmth and cooking capability in chilly weather.
Its detachable chimney design makes it easy to transport, while the sturdy materials ensure durability.
- Detachable chimney design for easy portability
- Visual glass window to monitor the burning situation
- Sturdy materials for long-lasting use
The OneTigris TIGER ROAR tent stove is ideal for keeping you warm in harsh winter conditions due to its heavy-duty stainless steel construction and efficient heat output from burning dry seasoned wood.
Not only will this stove provide warmth, but it’s versatile enough to use for outdoor cooking, making it a practical addition to your camping gear.
- Versatile tent stove perfect for winter camping and outdoor cooking
- Made of stainless steel and German Schott ROBAX heat resistant glass
- Includes tent stove body, stovepipes, leather gloves, replacement glass, and ash scraper
This HAREAR stove has a robust steel construction that offers exceptional durability and rustproofing.
With excellent heat output and efficiency, it’s the perfect companion to help you keep warm while cooking your meals.
The efficient firepower from this stove comes from its 16 strategically designed air vents, ensuring optimal ventilation for a long-lasting burn.
The combustion chamber has a generous size, enabling extended burn times of up to 40-60 minutes when loaded with firewood.
- Premium durability with high-quality steel construction
- Efficient firepower from 16 air vents and generous combustion chamber
- Customizable convenience with adjustable pot holders and foldable legs
This stove is ideal for winter camping due to its lightweight design and high thermal conductivity, providing warmth and durability in harsh conditions.
Its titanium construction ensures durability, while the foldable design and convenient carrying bag make it easy to transport during your outdoor adventures.
- Made of 100% TA1 Titanium, 60% lighter than stainless steel stoves
- Compact design with easy assembly, weighing only 4.4lbs
- Efficient burning with 6 air inlets and rotary damper control
How to choose a winter camping stove that’s right for you
When shopping around for a stove for winter camping, make sure to look for one that can perform efficiently in cold weather and harsh winter conditions.
A reliable stove will need to have a powerful heat output and be easy to ignite in freezing temperatures.
Some key features to consider when selecting your ideal stove are:
- Fuel type: Select a stove that uses liquid fuel, as gas canisters may not perform well in very low temperatures.
- Wind resistance: Choose a stove with a built-in windscreen to ensure consistent heat and cooking performance, even in windy conditions.
- Stability: Opt for a stove with a stable and robust base, so it can safely support your pots and pans on uneven surfaces.
- Weight and size: For winter camping, a lightweight and compact stove will be more convenient to carry in your backpack.
- Ease of use: Look for a stove with accessible controls, allowing you to easily adjust the flame and heat output.
More about winter camping:
- Your winter camping checklist (essential gear for the backcountry)
- Can you use a camping stove indoors?
- 9 of the best camping stove windshields
Elise is an experienced backcountry canoe tripper and winter camper from Ontario, Canada. She loves cooking up a storm over the campfire, taking in all the backcountry views, and enjoying a piña colada or two while relaxing at camp. She’s also certified in Whitewater Rescue (WWR) I & II and Wilderness First Aid (WFA).